Do you have a corporate policy on device safety? If not, it's easy to create. You're just setting some rules for employees to follow, so they keep their devices safe while traveling. If you don't take a device with you, it's safe from hacking and from theft.
You can use these 7 requirements as the basis for your policy. Four to follow before leaving the office (whether to work remotely or to travel), and three to follow while they're out.
- Run a full system backup.
- Update all antivirus & anti-malware apps.
- Turn off auto-join for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
- If you don't need it, don't take it! That includes leaving your external hard drive at the office/at home.
- Do not use unsecured Wi-Fi (even at a hotel). Use your phone's data, or a secured hotspot.
- Lock your device in the hotel safe before leaving. If they don't have a safe, take the device with you and keep it on your person.
- Use the company VPN at all times when online.
Add this to your corporate policy that all employees must sign. When followed, these practices should protect your IT hardware, and the data on them.
What are your cybersecurity questions? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!