Robert Douglas, along with his black lab Magpie, founded Magpie Internet Communications, Inc. in Los Gatos, California. They build a datacenter to host customers’ databases safely offsite. Unfortunately, customers do not embrace the concept of hosting their databases offsite. In a single year, the Cloud is born and dies.
Plan B. With plenty of servers, Robert employs a web design team to build websites that he could host in his datacenter. The new division, “W3”, is named for web design, web marketing, web hosting. • The first magpie-internet.com website is launched.
Customers begin asking Robert for desktop support during his visits. Magpie Internet’s Network Support division is born!
Robert’s customers begin asking for help with expanding their IT capabilities, including adding new Microsoft servers and building up their networks. Magpie Internet’s IT Consulting division is born! • Robert inks a contract with IBM to become a partner.
To reflect its growth into three divisions (W3 Services, Network Support, and IT Consulting), the company undergoes a rebranding. With its namesake taking center stage, PlanetMagpie is born. • PlanetMagpie.com launches under its new brand! • PlanetMagpie achieves Microsoft Gold Partner status, a level only 1% of partners achieve.
PlanetMagpie is named to the “Fast 50,” the Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal’s award for Fastest Growing Private Companies in Silicon Valley.
PlanetMagpie’s techs are all over the Silicon Valley making support visits and they need quick, reliable wheels! The first Magpie Mini support vehicle hits the road.
The first edition of “WOOF!”, PlanetMagpie’s monthly e-newsletter, rolls off the mail server. It continues publication to 4,000+ subscribers in all 50 states to this day.
“The Cloud” gains prominence as the world is finally ready for Robert’s vision (see 1998). PlanetMagpie hosts a customer’s entire IT infrastructure on a Private Cloud! • PlanetMagpie deploys Microsoft’s Office Communications Server (OCS) internally. OCS, the precursor to Lync/Skype for Business, is the definition of bleeding edge. Despite its issues, Robert sees the future in the solution and decides to stick with it. • PlanetMagpie.com is redesigned and rebuilt in Sitefinity CMS. Eating our own dogfood, and liking it, we start building customer websites in Sitefinity CMS. • Wins its first WebAwards for the ConductorMAX and Pruneyard Shopping Center websites. • The LyncInsider.com blog (now known as the Skype for Business Insider Blog) launches, reaching 45,000 monthly visitors. • After 11 wonderful years, PlanetMagpie loses Magpie, its namesake and loyal companion. There are no words.
Outgrowing its office space, PlanetMagpie buys a 5,000-square foot building in Fremont and builds out its new headquarters, complete with state-of-the-art datacenter. • Wins WebAward for PlanetMagpie.com built in Sitefinity CMS.
The year begins helping customers migrate to Office 365, Microsoft’s cloud-based Office system.
• Two more WebAwards for BreadBaskets.com and Conductormax.mobi. • Partners with Juniper Networks and begins specialization in network security. • Launches the Sitefinity CMS Insider blog aimed at helping customers with Sitefinity websites leverage the extensive features of their CMS. • Robert returns to Mississippi, to the very same breeder that gave him Magpie, and comes back with new mascot “Pie.”
The New York Times quotes Robert on Mobile Trends. • PlanetMagpie achieves Sitefinity Platinum Partner status. • Adds two more WebAwards for Comyns, Smith, McCleary & Deaver and Improved Piping Products websites. • Publishes the white paper, “Open Source v. Proprietary CMS: Which is Stronger.” • Partners with Extreme Networks and expands its network security services. • Publishes, “The Argument for ReShoring American IT: The Risks of Oursourcing Offshore and Why ReShoring IT is Growing.” This white paper defines the company’s stance on & support for hiring American IT employees.
Deploys Lync Server 2013, Microsoft’s Unified Communications voiceover IP platform internally. The product is deemed ready for prime time and PlanetMagpie deploys it for customers. • Two more WebAwards for Giorgi Bros. Furniture and Cromer Material Handling websites.
Microsoft asks for Robert’s help writing a new Lync Server 2013 certification exam (taken by 1000s of IT professionals worldwide). • Partners with eFolder to deploy Anchor (cloud file sharing & backups) within its Cloud Datacenter, giving Silicon Valley businesses a secure, local alternative to public clouds. • Wins its 10th WebAward for Diablo Precision website. • PlanetMagpie starts offering free Reshore Your IT bumper stickers. By the end of 2015, over 1,000 bumper stickers were mailed to supporters in 48 of the 50 United States.
CNN Money and Fast Company quote Robert on email privacy in light of the Hillary Clinton email scandal. • Implements Skype for Business Server 2015 internally. Skype for Business adds full integration with Skype, simpler VoIP, and a stronger Online Meeting tool. Customers start demanding Skype for Business almost immediately.
• Wins its 11th WebAward for AisForAppleinc.com. • Demonstrating its commitment to the American IT workforce, PlanetMagpie begins the Engineer-in-Training program, where local computer science grads get the opportunity to fast track their IT careers with mentoring from some of the best Microsoft engineers in the Valley.
Deploys new hosted cloud backup solution for customers. Customers now have secure backups made automatically from their office to the PlanetMagpie datacenter.
• Deploys network monitoring service to customer sites.
• Skype for Business deployments are happening on a monthly basis. Robert’s 7-year investment in the technology (OCS/Lync/Skype) pays off and PlanetMagpie is one of the most experienced Skype deployment firms in the U.S.
• Launches the fourth version of PlanetMagpie.com, fully responsive, using Sitefinity CMS. • PlanetMagpie wins coveted W3 Awards for its work on planetmagpie.com in three categories—Visual Appeal, User Experience, and Home Page.
PlanetMagpie wins a Best in Show from the W3 Awards for its work on StaplesConstruction.com.
• Wins its 12th WebAward, this time for PlanetMagpie.com.
• Rolls out a new cloud backup solution with faster restores and more efficient backup routines.
• Upgrades datacenter with state-of-the-art IBM solid state drive arrays and F5 protection.
• PlanetMagpie experts cited as sources for Mimecast, ZDNet, Flow-E.com, and LinkDex.
• Rolls out “Cybersecurity Kung Fu!”, its new cybersecurity training program for customers.
Celebrates 20 years in business in Silicon Valley!
• Adds two new dogployees (Dante and Chubsy) to the office dog pack.
• Starts expansion with its first new office in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.
• PlanetMagpie experts cited as sources by CIO.com, USA Weekly, InformationWeek, DigitalGuardian, and PhoenixNAP.
• Technical team focused on cybersecurity including network installations, cloud backups, and employee cybersecurity training.
• Digital Marketing team adopts Craft CMS and WordPress to increase options for web development customers.
• Wins 3 web design awards for FPA.com, including Top Website of the Quarter by Progress Sitefinity.
Expands Texas presence with a new Sales Director and multiple new customers.
• Launches an all-new cromer.com as "the Auto Mall of Forklifts."
• Receives coveted W3 Award for our work on cromer.com!
• Interviewed by CIO.com for article on What Makes an Indispensable IT Pro.
• Enjoys repeat business from 4 past website customers in need of new sites.
• Hosts a series of PlanetMagpie "Pop-Up" networking events in DFW area.
• Earns a Top 501 MSP for 2019 distinction from Channel Futures.
• Adds a new dogployee—Homer the Bulldog, Security Guard.
Survives the pandemic!
• Converts existing and new customers to remote work environments.
• Interviewed by Constructor Magazine for article on COVID-related social engineering attacks.
• Publishes White Paper “A Call to America: Let’s Return Tech Manufacturing to the U.S.”
• Hires a Vice President of Sales to manage growth in Texas.
• Challenges employees to a 45-day running streak challenge, many accept, 3 are victorious.
• Restores computer networks for 4 companies with severe ransomware attacks.
• Champions the value of managed cloud backups to anyone who will listen.
• Consults for automotive startup with building an online motor vehicle registration system.
• Goes green by upgrading cooling systems in PlanetMagpie datacenter.
• Refreshes major servers and flash storage arrays in PlanetMagpie datacenter.
• Adds a new dogployee—Peanut the French Bulldog, Hospitality Coordinator.