How to Use PlanetMagpie Webmail
All PlanetMagpie email accounts are protected by modusMail email security. This includes a webmail option, so you can access your email from any location.
Use this FAQ page to access your Webmail, use an email client, troubleshoot common problems, and manage your email account's Quarantine (spam filter).
Access Your Webmail Account
Access Your Webmail Account - Instructions
IMPORTANT NOTE: Don't try to access Webmail or your Quarantine folder while your email program is running! If you already have your email open using an email program, you'll be unable to log on to Webmail or Quarantine.
To access your email account online, go to this website: http://webmail.planetmagpie.com/webmail/Login.aspx
Enter your PlanetMagpie username (full email address) and your password.
If you're accessing webmail on your own computer, check the "Automatically log me onto this computer." box. If you're accessing webmail on another computer, don't check this box.
Click Login. The modusMail webmail account window will open:
From here you can:
- Check your email online
- Send emails
- Browse contacts and email folders
- Change settings
- Access your modusMail Quarantine
How Do I Review Emails Caught in My Spam Filter?
All PlanetMagpie webmail accounts come with spam filtering to minimize the spam that gets to your inbox. You'll find emails filtered as spam in one of two places: your Outlook Junk Mail folder (if you are downloading your email to Outlook) or your Quarantine folder (if using webmail). You will also receive Quarantine Report Emails (from “Postmaster”) on a daily basis delivered at 3 a.m. and covering the previous 24 hours.
Most emails listed in Quarantine Report will be spam. However, it's possible that a legitimate message will be caught in the spam filter (what's known as a "false positive"). If you aren't sure about an email, click on its subject line in the Quarantine Report. A browser window will open and show you the email's contents (in a protected view, no risk).
If the email is legitimate, click Release to release it to your inbox. If you know and trust the sender, you can whitelist their email address (see "How to 'Whitelist' an Email Address" below).
How to Change Your Password
- Click on the Settings link in Webmail.
- Click on Options.
- Type the old password and then the new password into the designated fields under "Account Information".
- Click the Save button.
To Receive Emails
Click "Check Mail" in the top menu bar. Any new emails will appear in the main window below.
To Send Emails
In the Webmail window, click "Compose" on the menu bar. You'll see a Compose Email window. Enter the information like you would for any other email, and click Send.
Manage Your Webmail Quarantine
How to "Blacklist" an Email (Block an Email Address from Sending You Messages)
Blacklisting blocks an email address from ever appearing in your inbox. Emails from this address are rejected at the server. Blacklists are best used to prevent known spam and phishing attempts from reaching you.
- Log on to http://webmail.planetmagpie.com.
- Click Settings in the top menu bar.
- Under Email Filtering, click "Blocked Senders."
- In the "Add a Sender" box, enter the email address you want to block in the "Email: " field.
- Click Add.
- Repeat Steps 4 and 5 for any more email addresses you want to block.
NOTE: If you're receiving spam from an email address with a legitimate domain (i.e. @microsoft.com) don't blacklist the entire domain. Only the email address itself.
How to "Whitelist" an Email Address (Mark the Address as Legitimate)
- In the webmail window, click the box on the left of the email to select it.
- Click the "Select Action" button in the top menu bar. You will see two actions in a drop-down menu:
- Release Messages
- Release and Report Messages as Legitimate Email
- If you just want to release the emails you've checked, select "Release Messages".
- If you trust the sender (identified under "From" column) and want to receive more emails from them, select "Release and Report Messages as Legitimate Email".
NOTE: Don't whitelist entire domains like this! Some spammers can slip past filters by disguising emails as coming from a trusted domain (like microsoft.com). Only whitelist individual email addresses.
How to Clear Out Spam/Empty the Email Quarantine
- Click the Empty button on the top menu bar.
- A window will pop up saying, "Are you sure you want to completely empty this folder?"
- Click OK. All emails in the Email Quarantine will be deleted.
To Delete Emails from Quarantine
- Click the check box to the left of the email(s) you want to delete.
- Click the "Delete and Purge" button on the top menu bar.
- The selected emails will be deleted.
Do I Need to Review my Quarantine Reports Every Day?
That's up to you. It's recommended that you review your Quarantine report daily, since a false positive could be stuck there (especially with new customers). If you see a false positive, click "Release" to its right. A browser window will open, giving you the option to whitelist the sender's email address.
I'm Missing an Email, and It's Not in My Quarantine Report. Where Else Can I Look For It?
Check your Junk Mail folder in Outlook. It's also possible the email is in your email quarantine, but isn't in your Quarantine Report email from Postmaster. The Quarantine Report list runs at 3 a.m. so any email filtered after 3 a.m. will not be in your Quarantine Report list until the following day at 3 a.m.
To access your Quarantine email in real time, log into your Webmail and click on the Quarantine folder and go through the list. If you find the email there, whitelist the sender so this won't happen again. See "How to 'Whitelist' an Email Address" on this FAQ for instructions.
My Email Doesn't Work
- Restart your email program (e.g. Outlook) in case it's not working properly.
- Make sure you're still online. Visit a webpage to check this, such as www.google.com.
- Reboot the computer, in case the email process is stuck in the background.
- You may have gone over your storage limit, and the account has locked as a precaution. Call Support.
- You may have received too much spam or a phishing attack email, which is blocking your account. Review your Quarantined Items (see "To Delete Emails from Quarantine" below).
If all of this doesn't work, your mail server settings may be out of date. The correct mail server settings are: mail2.planetmagpie.com
(Port 110) for Incoming Mail Server smtp2.planetmagpie.com
(Port 2525) for Outgoing Mail Server
Instructions on how to enter these settings (and where to do so) are on this page: PlanetMagpie.com – Email Settings
If you're still having trouble, call PlanetMagpie Support at 408-540-5100.
My Mailbox is Full. How Can I Get More Storage Space?
- Try deleting some emails. See how much space that frees up.
- Your email program (Outlook) may be leaving copies of messages on the server. Log into webmail and see if your Inbox there still contains emails you've downloaded to your Outlook inbox. If so, go to http://planetmagpie.com/networksupport/whatyouneed/emailsettings.aspx and click on your email client version (Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010). The instructions for "How to Limit the Number of Days Email Stays on the Server" will tell you how to clear up storage space.
- If you still have a full mailbox, you can request additional storage space from PlanetMagpie (there may be an additional charge).
What Size Emails Can I Receive?
PlanetMagpie email customers can receive emails of up to 10MB in size. Files larger than 10MB can bog down email sends. If you need to receive a large file, ask the sender to upload it to an intranet (like SharePoint) or a file storage website like DropBox.