How to Use modusGate Email Protection
This page will give you a tutorial on how to use the modusGate spam filtering service provided by PlanetMagpie. You'll learn how to change your filtering level, how to work with your Quarantine, and how to whitelist & blacklist email addresses and domains.
If you're reading this, you probably receive a daily report email from "Postmaster" with a subject line of "Quarantine Report." This is an automatic email sent by modusGate every day to show you any new emails it has blocked.
From these emails, you can:
Block a Spam Email Sender
- Click "Block" to the right of the spam email in the list.
- A browser window will open, with two "Block Options":
- Block Sender's Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Block Sender's Domain Name: Domain.com
- Select the first to block spam emails from that email address. Select the second to block the whole domain.
(NOTE: Don't do this if you recognize the domain name, even if this is a spam email.)
- Click "Continue".
- You'll see a line that says: "email@example.com has been added to your Block Senders list." This is known as "blacklisting" – ModusGate will prevent all future emails from this address or domain.
- Close the browser window.
Delete All Quarantined Items
- At the top and bottom of the Quarantine Report email you'll see a line that says, "Delete All Contents."
- Click this link if you want to delete all the Quarantined Items listed from your modusGate Quarantine.
- A browser window will open.
- After a moment you will see this message:
"All contents of this report have been successfully deleted."
- All emails in modusGate Quarantine have been purged. The next Quarantine Report email you receive will contain only new items.
Release a Legitimate Email from Quarantine
- Click "Release" to the right of the email in the list.
- A browser window will open, with two "Message Handling Options":
- Release message from Quarantine
- Release message from Quarantine and report it as legitimate email
- You'll also see three "Prevent blocking future messages from this sender by" Options:
NOTE: Adding email addresses or domains to the Trusted Senders list is also known as "whitelisting." modusGate will allow all future emails from this address/domain.
- Do not add the sender to my Trusted Senders List
- Adding the sender's email address, [firstname.lastname@example.org], to your Trusted Senders List
- Adding the sender's domain name, [domain.com], to your Trusted Senders List (Note: ALL senders from this domain will be trusted)
- Select the options you want from both lists. Only select the "Adding the sender's domain name" option if you know and trust the sender.
- Click "Continue".
- You'll see a line that says: "Name@domain.com has been added to your Trusted Senders list."
- Close the browser window.
NOTE: If you've whitelisted an email, but continue to have problems receiving email from that address, contact PlanetMagpie Network Support at 408-540-5100. We can whitelist the address at the server level for you.
View the Contents of a Suspicious Email
- If you aren't sure about the contents of a blocked email, click its Subject line.
- A browser window will open and display the email contents.
- If the email is indeed spam, close the browser window. You may delete or block it using the instructions on this page.
- If the email is legitimate, click the Release button in the top menu bar. Skip to Step 2 under "Release a Legitimate Email" below for further instructions.
If you are expecting an email and you suspect it was quarantined, you don’t have to wait for your next Quarantine email report. You can login to view your quarantine items in real time.
Logging On to ModusGate
Open the following URL in your web browser: http://quarantine.planetmagpie.com
You'll see a login screen like this:
- Enter your email address (example: email@example.com).
- Enter your email password.
- If you're on your own computer, check the box next to "Automatically log me onto this computer." This will save your email and password for next time.
- Click Login. You'll be taken to the modusGate Email Quarantine screen.
The Email Quarantine screen displays emails modusGate believes are spam, contain viruses, or are phishing attempts. Only release emails you are expecting, and that you know aren't dangerous.
To Delete Spam Emails
- Click the check box to the left of the email(s) you want to delete.
- Click the "Delete and Purge" button on the top menu bar.
- The selected emails will be deleted.
To Empty the Email Quarantine
- Click the Empty button on the top menu bar.
- A window will pop up saying, "Are you sure you want to completely empty this folder?"
- Click OK. All emails in the Email Quarantine will be deleted.
NOTE: modusGate will store your Quarantine emails for 30 days, after which time they will be automatically deleted from modusGate.
To Release an Email
- Click the check box to the left of the email(s) you want to release.
- Click the "Select Action" button in the top menu bar. You will see two actions in a drop-down menu:
- Release Messages
- Release and Report Messages as Legitimate Email
- If you just want to release the emails you've checked, select "Release Messages".
- If you trust the sender (identified under "From" column) and want to receive more emails from them, select "Release and Report Messages as Legitimate Email".