Microsoft Data Protection Manager 2012: Real-Time Backups without Disrupting Work
If your network crashed right now, would your backup system have this morning's files?
We trust backups to preserve our data in case of emergency. But depending on how often a backup runs—and how functional those backups are—you could still lose your most recent work.
The ideal for business data protection is "near continuous backup." Near continuous backups holds several advantages over standard disk or tape backup routines:
- Every time data is written, it's backed up. Either to disk, cloud storage or scheduled for tape.
- If data becomes corrupted & isn't caught, a RAID or mirroring backup scheme can overwrite good backups with the corrupted data. If you attempt a restore, you are restoring corrupted backups.
- Servers and client desktops are included in backup, automatically.
- Data recovery is easy and available with a few simple commands.
How do you do this at the server level? You use Microsoft Data Protection Manager 2012.
Data Protection Manager 2012: Enterprise-Grade Data Protection and Recovery
Part of Microsoft System Center, Data Protection Manager (DPM) provides one of the most valuable protections any network can have: Near continuous real-time backups to disk media without disrupting anyone's work.
How? DPM 2012 runs small "agent" applications to coordinate its backups. These agents plug into Volume Shadow Service (VSS), a Microsoft service installed on all recent Microsoft products. When files are written, the agent sends the changed data to DPM for backup.
These agents are present in:
*NOTE: Exchange Server 2013 is compatible with DPM 2012 Service Pack 1 only.
- Exchange Server 2013*
- SharePoint 2013
- Windows Server 2008/2012
- SQL Server 2012
- Windows XP/Vista/7/8 desktops
- And all other Microsoft server platforms.
So half the functionality is already built into your systems. DPM just completes the chain, and runs its backups continuously. Users won't even know it is happening.
New in DPM 2012: Quicker Performance, Constant Data Protection
- Improved backup performance (up to 900% improvement for Express Full backups)
- Scale out support for Hyper-V virtual machines
- Support for Live Migration
- Exclude virtual machine pagefiles from incremental backups, for faster backups & better use of storage space
- Remote management of DPM servers
Data Protection Manager is an easy choice if you want working copies of application data. Up-to-the-hour recovery. Or just an easier way to manage backups. Call PlanetMagpie at 408-341-8770
and ask us for a backup consultation. We'll determine together how Data Protection Manager 2012 will benefit you. And your backups.